This fabulously healthy dinner is suitable for the metabolic cure and paleo diet. This recipe contains zero fat, carbs, sugar and dairy. It tastes beautifully fresh and divine. On the metabolic cure phase 2 this makes enough for 5 x 100 gram protein servings. For cooking without oil I use an electric non-stick grill and it’s brilliant.
What you need
500g chicken grilled and sliced
1 large onion sliced
1 large onion chopped
Bunch of fresh coriander – roots finely chopped, leaves seperated
400g fresh or tinned chopped tomatoes (please check the label to make sure there is no added sugar!)
Fresh ginger chopped (I used a good sized root about4 inches because I love ginger but please feel free to adjust to your taste)
4 meaty garlic cloves crushed
Chilli powder ¼ teaspoon (adjust to taste)
1 level tsp cumin
1 level tsp turmeric
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cardamom pods split open
3 whole cloves
3 bay leaves
Flat bottom pan with high sides
1. Place the onions, coriander roots, ginger, garlic and 250ml water into a food processor. Blitz on high as if you’re making a smoothy until the mixture is smooth. Place the mixture in the pan and let it come to a boil. Keep on a medium heat and continue to dry fry while stirring regularly for 5 -6 minutes or until most of the water has gone.
2. Add the cumin, turmeric and chilli powder and continue to cook for another 5 minutes adding some of the juice from the canned tomatoes. When the juice has evaporated add the sliced chicken and stir well to coat.
3. Next add the chopped tomatoes, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, bay leaves and cloves. You should also add 200ml or so of water here to help combine the flavours. Salt and pepper can also go in now.
4. Bring to the boil then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook until the sauce has thickened.
5. While the sauce is cooking take the rest of the sliced onion and place it in a pan of water, boil until it is soft and set aside.
6. When ready to serve add the soft sliced onion and coriander leaves to the chicken and plate up.
I served this up on a bed of crumbled cauliflower so that it fitted in with the foods allowed on the detox. For the paleo diet you could fry the chicken in virgin coconut oil to get your healthy fats in. For an all round healthy meal serve this up with brown rice.
Secret Tip… for an extra burst of heat try grinding on some Jamie Oliver Chilli Salt.